National Motorhome Show Peterborough

Peterboror_2013Date of Stay: 19th April to 21st April A few years since I had been to this and last year was a wash out with the rain by all accounts.  Very enjoyable weekend with lots to see and we really enjoyed the Saturday night entertainment. There is something strangely comforting watching a bunch of 60 and 70 year olds, some on mobility scooters, jigging up and down to the sound of The Tremeloes and The Bachelors!

Highlights for me: The Bobil shop with great Motorhome gifts run by Catherien and Chris of The World is Our Lobster fame, (check out the great gifts – I have to wait till my birthday in May to receive mine but I believe they are hidden in a safe place waiting for me in the motorhome); the very nice man from Nature Pure who sold me a new cartridge and explained why my tap wasn’t working the way it was originally,  (it was missing a pin and he is sending me one FOC in the post) and finally I suppose just the very well organised nature of the whole event.  There was loads to see, plenty to do and it was also relaxing.  Time allowing, we will be going nagain next year and will no doubt rally with the friendly people from Motorhome Facts.

My vote for rudest trader at the show hands down was the man selling Thule equipment who other than taking my money had no interest in helping or discussing and was more interested in getting someone to get him a can of pop.  He still managed to get £30 out of me for a wall organiser.  Guess I should have told him to organise himself!

19 Responses to National Motorhome Show Peterborough

1. Trevor Burton. April 28, 2013 at 4:19 pm #

Hello Chris,

As I have been busy with other things recently I have failed to keep up with all of your ‘goings on’, did you ever purchase the iBoost wifi system? If you did would you be kind enough to point me in the right direction so that I might catch with your views. One the other hand if you have not bought it will you be doing so soon? I like the idea but cannot find anyone who uses this kit.

Many thanks,

Trevor.

• ceejayt April 28, 2013 at 4:24 pm #

I am still waiting for them to produce the roof aerial so that I can have it permanently installed – just don’t like the idea of messing about with suckers. They have had a problem with the manufacturer for the aerial bracket disappearing without trace – I chatted to them about it at Peterborough. Funnily enough there was a thread about the kit and how good it is just today. I will post the link for you in a moment.

2. ceejayt April 28, 2013 at 4:26 pm #

And here is the link…

It gets a good review. In the meantime, I have just asked radioLabs as they have produced a new box which should work with my original Captifi kit.
    Anyway, hope that helps you 🙂

3. Trevor Burton April 30, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

Chris………”you are a star in a reasonably priced RS”……..!!
    Thank you for adding the link to the additional information, most helpful.
    Our new ‘big white German box’ will be on the road 1st of July all being well, so I am busy presently collecting new ‘boys toys’ to make my life easier from then on in.

4. ceejayt April 30, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

Glad to help 🙂
    Radiolabs came back to me and said their new wijacker would work. This means I don’t have to replace the roof aerial and cost is $169.95 including postage from the US. So, have ordered it and will let you know how I get on.
    Enjoy your German white box! Not made from girders in Barnsley but I bet it will be a great piece of kit and loads of fun. Spain is our next big trip in June so plenty of blogging to be done.

5. ceejayt April 30, 2013 at 5:48 pm #

Now that, sir, is a Motorhome not to be sniffed at. Do I take it the reason it is not available is because it is soon to be yours? VERY nice!

6. T. B. April 30, 2013 at 6:37 pm #

Thank you sir, you’re so kind!
    We’re both going to retire this summer and are so pleased to have finally found the right ‘Burtie Bus’ for us. We did look very closely at the RS products and liked the idea of designing the outfit and having it built in the UK to our specification. However, I really did want a vehicle with a garage which could accommodate a scooter plus two bicycles and still has a nice sleeping area too. The Concorde ticks most of our boxes and it is available now.

• ceejayt April 30, 2013 at 10:36 pm #

I cannot but say that I am jealous, retirement and a great vehicle to do it in. I hope I can follow you down that road in the next couple of years 🙂

• T. B. May 5, 2013 at 7:42 am #

Hey’up lad!……Just a thought as thoo’ist a man who knows! ……..
        Please follow the link …… http://www.buzzconnect.co.uk/ …….. check it out ……… and ……. Let me know if you have any thoughts? Spotted the advertisement in this months MMM.

• ceejayt May 6, 2013 at 8:22 am #

This looks to be a similar system to the Captifi I have. I have been waiting for Motorhome Wifi to produce their roof aerial because I didn’t want to mess about with suckers. This could be a good answer for you on your Concorde and looks like a nice bit of kit. Two questions really:
          1 how tall is the aerial? You don’t want something too tall.
          2 How easy is it to set up each time you change wifi hot spots? You (and I) want it to be non techie!

You need to see one in action

• T. B. May 6, 2013 at 10:58 am #

Hello Chris, thanks for your thoughts…….like you and probably many others I’m looking for a ‘fit and forget’ solution to my wifi needs.
            Upon further investigation this looks to be a cross between the myfi and iboost solutions. The HubbaX requires a 3G SIM card and if what I read in the marine press, might well prove to be too expensive for EU roaming use, etc, as one might well be tied into a data use plan with the provider (yet to be confirmed).
            What I like the idea of is a roof mounted aerial (looks to be about the size of a kids small beach bucket) and a wifi hot spot for multiple users. Like you the sucker solution for mounting the aerial does not appeal to me much either.
            If you are interested I’ll keep you informed?

• ceejayt May 6, 2013 at 12:33 pm #

I will send you a really good link for foreign SIM cards shortly. That sorts out the cost of the 3G bit. I will let you know how I get on with the wija let and Captifi it should be here next week.

• ceejayt May 6, 2013 at 12:37 pm #

Getting one for our Spanish trip and popping it into a dongle

• T. B. May 6, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

Many thanks for the tips, etc, Chris. I really appreciate anything like that……..saves me from reinventing the wheel or learning by ones mistakes.

• ceejayt May 7, 2013 at 7:36 am #

So, here is my current ‘complete’ solution…
            A 3G wireless router that takes a SIM card. This is a neat bit of kit – shove in a SIM card (and you cab get a prepaid one for many countries from the site I gave you earlier. Turn it on and instant wireless network and internet if there is 3G available.
            For WiFi, I have my Captifi which I now hope to use with the wijacker which should arrive this week and will test it straight away. Both solutions are neat and tidy with no trailing wires. I can vouch for the Zoom box – it has been great. I am going to buy a Spanish SIM later today and will let you know how I get on.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Blaupunkt Toronto BT420 ICE System Review | Non Sequitur Ramblings RV & Motorhome - May 8, 2013

[…] terms of value for money, at £149 for the unit this seems a very good price.  I chose it at the National Show at Peterborough on the Autosound stand.  The staff were helpful and made the choice easy.  My requirements were […]